Debunking 5 Personal Injury Misconceptions and Myths
When you’re involved in an accident that wasn’t your fault but still resulted in injuries and damages, you may be able to hold the negligent party responsible. Seeking compensation can be how you cover the losses of the accident—whether it’s medical bills, lost wages, or pain and suffering. Because the legal process is complex, you may want representation who knows the law, has handled cases like yours before, and who will fight for your rights. A Jackson personal injury lawyer from Pittman, Roberts & Welsh, PLLC will help you in any way possible. We have experience in car accident claims, nursing home abuse claims, medical malpractice claims, and more.
If you’re filing a personal injury claim, you may have some misconceptions or myths about the process. It’s important to have correct information. Let’s go over some common myths you may have heard so you don’t go into the process with these myths in mind.
Common Personal Injury Misconceptions
While our lawyers can debunk any myth, some misconceptions could prevent you from meeting with us in the first place. Let’s start with a myth before you’re even involved in the personal injury process.
- It’s Too Expensive to Speak with a Lawyer. When you’re seeking representation, personal injury lawyers will often offer a free consultation and evaluation of your case. We’ll go over what happened to you, ask questions and get more details, and we can discuss the options that you have. You also have the opportunity to ask questions. Remember, meeting is obligation-free and doesn’t cost you anything.
- The Insurance Company Will Provide a Full and Fair Settlement. Many people may think that they don’t need representation in the first place and will accept the settlement the insurance company provides. However, they are not representing your best interests, they’re protecting their bottom line. The settlement they offer may not be the amount that you could recover with a personal injury lawyer at your side. The insurance company may also not know the full extent of your injuries, so your settlement may not be enough for you to financially recover.
- Personal Injury Cases Don’t Take a Lot of Time. You may think that after you file, your claim will be handled quickly. However, the claims process takes time. Your lawyer needs to gather evidence to show your injuries were someone else’s fault. If the other side doesn’t cooperate, the process could draw out. Your case may even proceed to court, which can also turn into a lengthy process.
- You Have an Infinite Amount of Time to File a Personal Injury Claim. After you’ve been injured, you may not prioritize going to see a lawyer when you can. Then, years down the road, you may still be dealing with the effects of the injury and you go to seek compensation. However, you may no longer be eligible because the statute of limitations has passed. Personal injury claims have a finite amount of time, usually starting from the date of the injury. It’s important to act quickly so you’re within the statute and your lawyer has plenty of time to work on your case.
- You Will Automatically Receive Compensation. When you file, you may expect full compensation no matter what. However, the other side may insist you bore some of the responsibility. If this is the case, your compensation amount can be lowered. If the other side is offering much less than you deserve, then you can take the case to court. When you’re in the courtroom, you have a chance of receiving full and fair compensation if the jury rules in your favor. But it’s important to remember they can rule against you as well. If this is the outcome, you may not be eligible to recover compensation. This is why it’s essential to have an experienced lawyer at your side.
Pittman Roberts & Welsh, PLLC Can Help You with Your Claim
While the legal process can be confusing, we’re here to bring clarity and provide peace of mind. An accident that’s resulted in injuries and damages can be an extremely stressful situation, but when you seek our help, we can stand at your side every step of the way.
When we’re fighting for you, we’ll seek full and fair compensation. You’ll be able to heal financially, physically, and emotionally, without worry of how you’re going to afford medical treatment or take time away from work. To get started on your case, get in touch with our office today and schedule a free consultation.