When a motorist is in an accident with an 18 wheeler, the collision usually results in debilitating injuries, medical debt, and a long road to recovery. If you or a loved one has been harmed in an accident, you may not know who to turn to for help. A Jackson 18 wheeler accident lawyer from Pittman, Roberts & Welsh, PLLC can fight for you to get the compensation you deserve.
We’ll fight for you to recover financially, physically, and emotionally. When you have peace of mind that your compensation will cover the costs of the accident, you can focus on your recovery. Before learning more about how our attorneys can help, let’s start at how 18 wheeler accidents affect those in Mississippi.
18 Wheeler Accidents in Mississippi
Mississippi has had a number of truck accidents that have resulted in fatalities. In 2017, Mississippi had 938 fatal crashes that involved a large truck. The U.S. had a total of 52,645 fatal accidents where a large truck was a part of the collision.
Both truck and other motor vehicle occupants were at risk of fatality if a crash occurred. In Mississippi, 10 truck occupants lost their lives in single vehicle accidents. Multiple vehicle accidents had 7 fatalities. There were 80 fatalities for those in the other motor vehicles. In some cases, there were fatalities from those who weren’t occupants in a vehicle. 5 nonoccupants lost their lives in accidents involving large trucks.
Unfortunately, an 18 wheeler accident can occur at any moment. In the early summer of 2020, an 18 wheeler went over the side of the Pascagoula River Bridge. There were two occupants in the truck, the driver and an occupant sleeping in the cab. While the person who was sleeping was able to get out with minor injuries, the driver was killed.
The truck driver was trying to avoid another accident on the bridge. The tractor part of the truck separated from the cab, and the two went in opposite directions. The cab went through the concrete wall on the side of the bridge and fell.
Because there are so many ways for an accident to occur, your lawyer’s experience in evaluating crash reports and eyewitness accounts will help you figure out the cause of the 18 wheeler accident. Let’s take a look at the reasons that can cause these devastating collisions.
How Do 18 Wheeler Accidents Happen?
Whenever a driver makes a negligent decision behind the wheel, they can cause an accident that results in fatalities and serious injuries. Some causes of a wreck involving an 18 wheeler can include the following:
- Loss of Control. Driving a large truck is much different than a regular-sized vehicle. It takes more time to speed up, slow down, and careful maneuvering for turning or switching lanes. A truck driver could be inexperienced or rushing to try to get to their destination. In either case, they could make a mistake and they could lose control of the truck. Overcorrecting steering or slamming on the brakes when traveling at high speeds could cause the driver to lose control.
- Exhaustion. A tired driver may not be as sharp or alert to possible hazards on the road or their own actions. If a driver isn’t paying attention, they could travel out of their lane and into the lane next to them, or off the road entirely. If the driver falls asleep at the wheel, they could cause a dangerous accident.
- Disobeying Traffic Laws. If a driver is in a hurry or is lax with driving laws, they may decide to speed, use their phone while driving, or follow the other cars in front of them too closely. When truck drivers don’t follow the rules of the road, they will have less time to react to anything on the road. The truck driver could hit the car or cars in front of them before they look out the cab’s window.
- Faulty Truck Parts. If the truck had defective parts or wasn’t road-ready, it’s possible the auto part manufacturer put a faulty part on the market. If this malfunctioned during the drive, the truck driver may not have been at fault at all.
- Overloading. The 18 wheeler has a weight limit that the axles of the truck can support. If the cargo isn’t loaded properly or has more weight than the axles can safely handle, they can buckle during the drive. Loose cargo can move throughout the tractor and possibly knock it out of place.
After finding out how your accident occurred, your Jackson 18 wheeler accident attorney from Pittman, Roberts & Welsh, PLLC will then assess how the accident affected you. Your injuries, costs of care, and other consequences will be taken into account for your truck accident claim.
Our lawyers have experience in advocating for truck accident victims and know how severe the injuries can be. Let’s take a look at why 18 wheeler accidents can cause so much damage.
What Makes 18 Wheeler Accidents So Devastating?
An 18 wheeler’s size and weight can cause serious injuries that will require a long healing process. In some cases, a full recovery may not be possible and the person has a permanent disability. The types of 18 wheeler accidents can give more insight into how dangerous these accidents can be:
- Rollover. If anything knocks the truck off balance, it can roll over to its side and crash to the ground. Any vehicles near the truck could get caught in the accident or not have enough time to slow down and avoid the upended truck.
- Override/Underride. A truck driver that isn’t aware of their blind spots or is driving too closely to vehicles around them could trap the car next to them underneath part of the truck. Once this occurs, the car is stuck and the driver cannot control their vehicle. The 18 wheeler can crush the car and severely injure the driver and passengers.
- Jackknife. If the truck driver loses control of the trailer, it can swing to the side and forward to form an L or V shape. The trailer can hit vehicles in the lane next to them, whether they’re traveling in the same or opposite direction.
Our attorneys will work diligently to get all the facts about your accident. Once we have the information we need, we’ll being to build your case so you can get the compensation you deserve.
Seek Legal Counsel Today
While the road to recovery can be long, you don’t have to do it on your own. Having a Jackson 18 wheeler accident lawyer from Pittman, Roberts & Welsh, PLLC at your side will help you navigate the legal process and get the help you need.
Call us today for a free case evaluation. We’re prepared to discuss your case and answer your questions. Then, we can go over your options and how you can protect your best interests.